Bedingham

Bedingham is one of our nearest neighbours.

Bedingham Churchyard War Memorial has had a facelift to fall in with this year’s centenary of the start of World War I.  The engraved names and lettering have been re-enamelled and the chains and surrounds repaired.  Bedingham Parish Meeting is very grateful for all those who helped with this work and to those who donated financially.

“We Will Remember Them”.

Historic map showing Bedingham

Historic map showing Bedingham

Click here to see Bedingham’s entries in the Domesday Book.

Bedingham Parish Meeting

Since 1894, the Bedingham electors have governed themselves through a Parish Meeting. Parish Meetings are the only example of direct democracy in the UK, something Bedingham jealously guards. All electors are entitled and welcome to attend the twice-yearly meetings and decide such matters as the precept and the rent of the ‘Parish Piece’ (about 2 acres of grazing available to let every spring, not restricted to Bedingham residents.

For more details, please contact the Chairman, Tricia Gunson: 01508 482543.

Bedingham's Book Swap library: bring one, borrow one! In the old telephone box on Triple Plea Road.

Bedingham’s Book Swap library: bring one, borrow one! In the old telephone box on Triple Plea Road.

Bedingham has two village benches. One is at the end of Hall Road, built to mark the Millennium, with the Bedingham village sign behind it. The other bench, marking Her Majesty the Queen’s Jubilee, is on Triple Plea Road.

Bedingham has its own bakery, Goulborns, which sells a wide variety of home-made pies, tarts, sweet biscuits and savoury dishes at Beccles Farmers Market.

Bedingham is also home to Brambles Therapeutic Care Farm, a therapeutic environment which is beneficial for a variety of people, such as those suffering from mental health problems, dementia, or physical health issues such as effects from strokes.

Bedingham Church is still regularly used: please click here for more information, including service times.

Bedingham’s fine church is testament to the fact that it was once closely connected to Walsingham Abbey, who held the Walsingham Priory Manor in Bedingham between 1318 and the Dissolution of the Monasteries, when it reverted back to the Crown. 

More historical information may be found in Francis Blomefield’s essay ‘Loddon Hundred: Bedingham’, An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: volume 10 (1809), pp. 100-105

Bedingham's War Memorial

Bedingham’s War Memorial

Click here to see St Andrew, Bedingham listed on Norfolk Churches.

Bedingham Church: view of tower

St Andrew, Bedingham: view of tower

Bedingham Church Font

St Andrew, Bedingham: Font

Bedingham Church detail

Bedingham once had a windmill, known as Bedingham smockmill, which stood until 1927.