Please find below a list of useful everyday information for living in Woodton. Please also visit our Woodton Directory to find more local businesses and services.
Banks & Cash Point Facilities
- Lloyds TSB – Market Place, Bungay (will be closing in May 2018)
Other Banks in the Area
- Beccles – branches of Barclays, HSBC, Lloyds TSB and NatWest.
Post Office Facilities – are available in Bungay, Beccles, Ditchingham, Brooke and Hempnall.
Eastern Savings and Loans is the new name for Ipswich and Suffolk Credit Union and Norfolk Credit Union.
A Credit Union is a financial co-operative that is owned and democratically controlled by its members and run solely for the benefit of its members. Members save with the Credit Union and then take out loans if they wish. Members receive free life insurance through the Credit Union, too. Interest rates are very competitive for small loans. Savings do not attract a set interest rate, but any profits made by the Credit Union are paid out to savers as an annual dividend. There is also a Christmas Club.
You pay a one-off joining fee of £4 and an initial £1 savings deposit (£5.00 in total). Please click here for more details on how to join.
Citizens’ Advice Bureau
The most immediate dental practices to Woodton are:-
- Bungay – Daniel Evans Dentists, 6 St Mary’s Street, Bungay: 01986 893 899
- Poringland – Poringland Dental Practice, The Street, Poringland, Norwich: 01508 494 599
- Loddon – The Loddon Dental Practice, 40-48 George Lane, Loddon, Norfolk, NR14 6QH: 01508 520 399
- Long Stratton – The Manor House Dental Practice, Long Stratton, Norwich NR15 2XJ: 01508 530 514
For a full list of all local medical services, please visit NHS Choices. The most local practices serving Woodton are:-
- Bungay Medical Practice, 28 St John’s Road, Bungay NR35 1LP: 01986 892 055
- Heathgate Medical Practice, The Street, Poringland, Norwich NR14 7JT: 01508 494 343
- Old Mill & Millgates Medical Practice has two premises:
- Old Mill Surgery, Stoke Road, Poringland: 01508 492 929
- Millgates Medical Practice, Mill Road, Hempnall: 01508 499 333
Woodton’s Local Pub
The Kings Head in Woodton is a great local facility for regular meet ups or a place to eat good food in welcoming surroundings. They now have a website www.woodtonkingshead.com that is well worth a visit and you can email them using email@example.com to make a booking or for any general information.
Woodton is very lucky to still have its own Village Shop. There are also a couple of other general stores nearby.
- Woodton Village Shop: Hempnall Road, Woodton, open 7 days a week: 01508 482 405
- Ditchingham Stores, 37 Loddon Road, Ditchingham, Bungay: 01986 892 471 (also has a Post Office). Open from 6am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 7am to 8pm on Saturdays and 9am to 6pm on Sundays
- Hempnall Stores, The Street, Hempnall, Norwich: 01508 499 292 (also has a Post Office)
Hospitals and Hospices
- Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital NHS Trust – Colney Lane, Colney, Norwich NR4 7UY: 01603 286 286
- James Paget – Lowestoft Road, Gorleston, Great Yarmouth, NR31 6LA: 01493 452 452
- All Hallows Community Hospital, Ditchingham – Station Road, Ditchingham, Bungay, NR35 2QL: 01986 892 728/891 660. Please note: no A&E
- Beccles & District War Memorial Hospital – St Mary’s Road, Beccles, NR34 9NQ: 01502 719 800 Please note: no A&E
Our nearest JobCentre Plus locations are:
- Beccles – 1-5 Hungate Court, Beccles: 01502 404 500
- Diss – Church Street, Diss: 01379 614 300
- Lowestoft – Rushton House, Clapham Road, Lowestoft: 01502 504 000
- Norwich – Kiln House, Pottergate, Norwich: 01603 248 700
There are many independent Employment Agencies situated in Norwich, Beccles, Diss and Lowestoft. The only one in Bungay is Ryburn Consultants Ltd, Woodside, Flixton, Bungay. Tel: 01986 896 334.
Woodton is served by the Mobile Library Van on route CEN 143, which calls at the village once a month on Mondays, bewteen 11:30am and 12:30pm. 2014 dates are entered in our Village Diary. The Mobile Library van stops at Fennels Farm, Homestead Farm, Tumbleweed Farm, Woodton Farm, and Woodton Farm Cottages.
Our nearest static libraries are:
- Loddon Library, 31 Church Plain, Loddon, NR14 6EX: 01508 520 678
- Bungay Library, Wharton Street, Bungay NR35 1EL: 01986 892 748
Bedingham also has a Book Swap Bookshop in the old telephone box at the bottom of Triple Plea Road. Please do have a look!
Regular morning newspaper delivery can be arranged with:-
- Woodton Stores: 01508 482 742
- Glenday News, Ditchingham: 01986 892 017
Woodton is served by the Long Stratton Safer Neighbourhood Team.
There are a number of ways you can get in touch with Norfolk Constabulary depending on the urgency and type of request.
- By phone, dial 101 to speak to Norfolk Constabulary
- Always dial or text 999 in an emergency
Woodton’s nearest Post Offices are:
- Ditchingham – 37 Loddon Road, Ditchingham, Bungay: 01986 892 471. Open from 6am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 7am to 8pm on Saturdays and 9am to 6pm on Sundays
- Hempnall – The Street, Hempnall, Norwich NR15 2AD: 01508 499 292. Open Monday-Friday 9.30 – 5.30pm, Saturday 9.00am – 1.30pm
- Bungay – There is a Collection Point for letters and parcels behind the old Post Office premises in Earsham Street (limited opening hours).
- Brooke – 4 Norwich Road, Brooke, Norwich NR15 1AB. Tel: 01508 550201. Closed Wednesday from 1.00pm. Closed Saturday afternoons
For more information, please visit the Post Office website.
Full details of all Norfolk’s Recycling Centres can be found here. Woodton’s nearest centres are:
- Bergh Apton – Wellbeck Road, Bergh Apton, NR15 2AU: Open Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday ONLY
- Morningthorpe – Mill Road, Morningthorpe, Long Stratton, NR15 2LJ on B1527: Open Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday ONLY.
- Our rubbish collection days are either Wednesday or Thursday
- Our rubbish (black bins) and recycling (green bins) are collected on alternate weeks: please click here to see which bin is collected when!
- Please note: bins must be out by 7am to be sure of being emptied
COMPOSTING YOUR GARDEN WASTE:
- If you cannot compost yourself, or dispose of your garden waste through a composting scheme, you can ask for a Brown Bin from SNDC for £43 per year
- Your Brown Bin may be collected in Week 1 or Week 2; please call 0808 168 3333 to check